Thursday, April 5, 2012

Differences

I have a brother that is almost 8 years younger than me.  I remember the day that he and mom came home from the hospital.  My moms youngest sister was staying to help out, and she held him in the car.  I sat beside her, and remember that he was like a doll-baby.  I couldnt imagine him as a real person!

There are just the two of us now.  Mom and dad are both gone.  We live on opposite ends of the country.  I havent physically seen him since just after mom died, a couple of years ago.  But, he is my little brother.  I love him.  He holds a place in my heart that nobody else can ever hold.

My brother is intelligent, handsome, and talented.  He inspires confidence in those around him.  I have always thought of him as artistic.  He is creative, and from his ideas and hands, things are made with great beauty.  I dont have that knack.  He got it in doses.

We dont agree on everything.  In fact, we likely dont agree on many things, but I have always respected his ability to think.  We do think differently, and Im sure that we always will, but Im proud of him.

I recently read a statement that he had written.  It was political, and very well written.  He wrote that many people clamor for religion in the government again, and mourn the loss of it.  He wrote of the separation of church and state..and made a statement that I found myself in 100 % agreement.  He wrote that when people want "faith" in government, they want their own.  And he reminded how it was throughout history- the Catholics, the Jews, driven out and punished for faith.  And he suggested that Americans want faith in government as long as its "good ole basic christian no frills faith"! {My words, not his}

Im of two minds, as always.  Yes, I think that when all attempts at even a show of  faith are removed from  government, we suffer.  But, and this is the big but- maybe the right word isnt faith.  Maybe morals. Values.  I think that often when we call for faith in the White House, it isnt about going to church, but about showing morals and values.  We cry for Congress and the Senate to remember faith- but isnt it the same thing?  We want them to STAND for something positive.

For me, faith is a personal thing.  I dont feel the need to justify my beliefs to anyone.  I am as free to believe as another is to not believe.  But there are few among us who would ask for no more values, no more morals.

And so, with  those differences that my brother and I have, we also share something important.  A basic value.  Dont blame religion or faith for being or not being in our government.  If we want to blame, lets start with apathy and laziness, with pack-mentality.  With being sheep-le.  Lets remember that often we dont bother to think for ourselves when someone else has already done it.

We have the opportunity to make changes. On  both small and large scales, we can make differences by learning, sharing, envisioning.  Lets not blame it on religion or lack of it.  Vote.  Write.  Campaign.  Dont be afraid to stand for what you want.  And stop allowing ourselves to be bullied, lectured or made to feel guilty for what we want.

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I turned 56 my last birthday. Some days I feel double that! LOL   My body may feel 96, but my spirit is often 26.  I have dreams and hopes, as I did when I was younger.  They may be tempered with experience now, but they are still there.

When my son found this property, and showed it to me, I could see the possibilities.  As a former motel, it serviced the railroad.  It was built when travel to and from the valley was by railroad or days-long  by auto.  The valley here is surrounded by mountain ranges, and in winter the passes still close.  Trains, with enormous cow-catcher/snowplows were the best option.

In the attic of the property, we found boxes dating back to the railroad being built.  Most were asian names, Lee, Chen, Wong.  They worked  6 and 7 days a week, and were paid at the end of the month.  The pay registers list the wages- $2.75 and $3.00 was the average.  These were for a month.  I imagine the conditions that they had.  Extreme heat, extreme cold, the ever-present wind.  Weeks with only 1 day off.  Were their families with them?  Did they know that they built something that would still be used a hundred years later?
The train, the Rio Grande, is still used to haul freight, but now  is also a tourist option.  The steam engine goes past here twice a day, and in the summer is filled with those who want the view, the experience and the thrill.  I wonder if any of them ever think of the men who built the railroad?

I wish you all a wonderful Easter Holiday.   Hugs to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment